02 November 2009
apple pie with crumble topping
* 7 medium apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced. Use mildly sweet to tart very crisp apple (such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortlands)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup light brown sugar
* 3/4 cup gluten-free flour (See above)
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/3 cup butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
1. In a large bowl mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. Set aside and let the juices mix.
***Crumble Topping Instructions***.
3. In small bowl mix together brown sugar, GF flour and nutmeg.
4. Next mix in the chilled butter and cut it in with a fork or other tool until you have a course crumbly mixture.
5. ***Assembling your Pie***.
6. Preheat oven to 400°F.
7. Spoon apples in to GF pie crust, mounding in the middle and pouring the sugary juices over top.
8. Sprinkle your Crumble Topping all over the top (use it all).
9. Use tin foil to cover edges of crust as it will burn easily.
10. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, topping will be lightly browned and filling will be bubbly.
11. Let cool for at least an hour before serving.